Friday, February 1, 2013

"Les Petites Choses"

Ah Oui,  like connective tissue, there are always the "little things" that keep our minds and hearts together.  Sure, there are always the big things, but it's valuable to search out the little.
I've been noticing little things, the cliched as well as things I haven't noticed so much before.  

A thousand little things to think about during the process of arranging for my year in Josselin....
the gathering of many documents to prove so many truths about my life.   Who I am...where I came from, to whom I am related, why I wish to live in France.   One must "prove" with a document that one is not a criminal.   One must prove that one is healthy enough to visit another country and that one will not impose a medical issue on the host country.  Add to these many, many more.
The process refocuses one's thoughts onto the scope and sum of a lifetime.   What are the little things that formed beliefs, hopes and goals, achievements and relationships?  What were the little things that were sloughed off and maybe regretted? 

I have been looking at the universal human "things", but of course, I am wondering about all these things around me now that are especially "French".   Who is here and what are their little things?
 Traditions, habits, customs, architecture, bureacracy, fun, cuisine, style, language, "slang", humor, attitude and on it goes.  A viewfinder in my head clicks through every vignette and lingers on the most appealing, the most surprising.     Notice, my frame of reference is not digital fast forwarding, but  a vintage manual effort.   France, and of course Europe are for me framed in "vintage".   What will I collect and treasure? 

                                                                   Little Things....


3 comments:

  1. Very creative and introspective. Love the pictures, they're very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love those little things in life! Thanks for sharing. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little stuff in life!
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete