Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Here I am, again!

Hi Everyone!

Today I am back to post things I wrote in an email yesterday.  I don't really know if you're interested.

To start, I've been having a time with the washing machine.  Turns out I don't need an "engineer" afterall.  I discovered that I must manually turn the dial to stop/start after a load to turn the machine off and the on again and to the time setting in order to start a new load.  It doesn't do that automatically, like every other washer in the world.  But I am thrilled nonetheless.  I have washed clothes by hand before, but I have not been a happy camper about it the last couple of weeks.   You should have heard me whoo-hooing!! in the laundry room yesterday morning!!  Remember, it's the little things. 

I got Maggie's birthday present sent off (wow, 18!!!!) and right after that I discovered a great new shop has opened up in town.  Definitely going there!!  Maggie could end up with an extra item.  Maybe I could, too.

    Yesterday and today have been beautiful and sunny, not warm but if you're in the sun very pleasant.
Lots of tourists around, too.  While I'm still wearing a coat and scarf, some people are having coffee at the cafes on the street in shirtsleeves.                            

                                                              
But it must have been horrible in medieval times.  NO heat, unless you could find some firewood and chop it while your hands and feet were freezing off.  No boots, no gloves.  Rags?  No electricity.  Maybe not even any candles.  No laptop. Yikes!  Not even any books unless you were a monk and then you had to write your own.  (in total silence)  Where would you even get cloth to make clothes?  No quilted puffer parka.  Or cashmere scarf.  No shower, no jojoba scented body wash.  Stinky feet forever.  And for dinner maybe a roasted rabbit and some wild onions.  If you were good with arrows.  And plucking fur.  Otherwise, you might get a gruel of some oats and onions in boiling water. Yum.  Then you would have to spend the whole next day scrounging up another dinner.  Ok, some eggs and some fruit if you could get them before the weasels and bears.  You could make some cider or mead if you had some apples or honey around.   Even the nobility still got boils and plague and lice.  I can't help but think what an amazing stroke of good fortune it is to be randomely alive NOW.  It's not as if any of us had a choice in it.  I wonder if the people of the future will pity us!   

These things will weigh on your mind a lot if you watch Youtube History documentaries.  There's no baseball here!

avec amour, AuRevoir!!  Till we meet again!



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you have been there for 5 months already!....i love reading your blog,you have a knack for writing.If you are planning a trip to England see if you can get tickets for The Graham Norton Show.You can check it out on youtube. AuRevoir Kathy
    Love Mabel

    ReplyDelete