Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cinq Jours de Soliel !

Cinq Jours de Soliel......tré apprécié!!

Two weeks ago today I had traveled by bus to Rennes for an appointment with the Immigration bureau.  With a long-stay VISA it is required to check in for an interview and a medical exam.

Happy to say I passed both.  The anticipation and anxiety leading up to that appointment took a toll on me, I must say. 

My dear new friends, Ann and Brian volunteered to keep Skippy for me for the 2 days I was away. That went very well and Skippy didn't make too much of a nuisance of himself. Brian even dropped me at the Bus stop, and took Skippy on with him.  On return, Brian and Skippy picked me up again, so I didn't have to trapse through town with my rolling suitcase.  

 I had planned to turn the business trip into a site-seeing trip. My plan included walking all around Rennes, to enjoy the gardens, the museums and shops.  There are loads of those as well as that wonderful French architecture.  And I had a leisurely stay in a pleasant hotel.  However, the weather had different plans.  Oh, I did walk.  But I walked in 45 degrees, howling wind and pouring rain.  There were people in winter parkas with their hoods up.  Many inside out umbrellas! Ugh!!  Rennes seems to be a pretty city, with the Rivers Ille and the Vilaine running through.  It's a university town and oh so full of students.  There were even high-end shops like Prada and Chanel, which I didn't visit. I had a very nice chicken curry dinner there and got to watch a table full of university "geeks" obsessively playing a card game called "Magique".   I really did enjoy myself despite the red tape and the weather.  Really being in "the moment" makes it all worthwhile. 

Photos around Rennes, view from my room, card game:
I did make a video of the landscape going by out the bus window, but am not posting it here as I think that file may be too big.  The scenery is surprisingly very much like upstate NY or even southern Ohio, except there are no foothills or "mountains" in the distance.  But rolling land, fields and trees all in varying shades of green. An occasional farm or hamlet, albeit, a very different architecture. Think stone cottage. Shutters, blue hydrangea.  Or "Hortensia" as it is called here. The official flower of Bretagne.
It all looks very familiar to me. 

It was good to get back to Josselin and my little routine.  That mostly involves walking Skippy around town.  We have 3 different routes we take.  Straight up through the middle of town past the bank and post office.  Or west down the hill toward the "bins" to take our garbage.  Then back along the canal and back up the steps making a circle.  Or down to the East as far as Michelle's boulangerie!!  The best in town.  A baguette sticking out of my bag and back we go.

Today, after French class, I tried to have a little lunch at Luc's café but Skippy will not behave.  He howls and barks at people now. And goes crazy if he sees another dog.  So, I ran him home and came back to find my seat at the table filled by Frank!! Laughing, I did accuse him of taking my seat. Of all people to arrive just then.  So I joined him anyway and we had a leisurely lunch. And a good long talk about Ireland (he's Irish) and China and various world travels.  And the idiosyncracies of living in France. 

Last Friday, Sue took Lucile and me to Serent (a nearby village) for the opening of Tim Hebbard's exhibition.  He's a well known English painter here in town.  There are lots of artists here.  It was a beautiful evening.  Right through today the weather has been gorgeous, Warm, puffy white clouds and that deep blue sky. 

Sunday, Lucile and I had lunch at the Sarrazine and then walked along the canal.  I met Airwen, who is the head of the group that holds the Film Festival in Josselin in November.

 On Monday, I had coffee with Barbara in her garden.  When she bought the house it was a total overgrown disaster.  She has worked a miracle there.  I wanted to sit in that garden forever. 

Now and then, there is a little surprise in Josselin.  Something you'd never conjure up in your head.  Serendipitous.  This week I had two of those.  The knife sharpening man, who rang my bell and was so very charming.  And, the friendly goat, accompanying her guitar playing owner.  I have named her Josselin, or maybe Jocelyn. 

Last night I finished a book called The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan.  It is a novel that tells the story of the ballet girls in Edgar Degas' paintings.  And in particular, the girl who posed for the famous sculpture.  I keep trying to read French related books.  A mini-immersion. 

Well, it's 10:20pm now and almost dark.  So I bid you bon soir, bon nuit! Au Revoir, till we meet again.

Photos: views around Josselin, The Knife Sharpener, The Goat & The Guitar

Airwen & Lucile,  Frank & Lucile  Luc at his café and Barbara in her garden




No comments:

Post a Comment