Thursday, June 20, 2013

Nearly the Longest Day

 newly paved lane down the hill to the canal....at the end of my block

The billiard hall
The lady's garden (the bus driver helps with bags!!)


June 21st is Summer Solstice.....longest Day of the Year.....and here in Josselin it doesn't get dark until about 10:35 at night.  It's nice to lay in bed and wait for the dark, wait for the streetlight to come on, listening to the never ending cooing of the doves.  Mornings here this week have been gloomy.  The pattern seems to be that the grey doesn't lift until mid-afternoon.  Around 3 the sun comes out and there is a rush to sit in the sun at the cafe for an hour or so.  At least for those of us close in.  Lots of tourists now.  People watching is good.

I've been a little under the weather over the past few weeks and made a couple of trips to the doctor.  On the mend now and so thankful the long winter is past. 

Tuesday was my first foray on the mini-bus.  After registering,(as a resident) one can ride free from various pick up points..mine is end of the block, to Super U and back.  I've been walking to Leclerc, but Super U is just a bit far and through the highway access.  Super U is much larger and you can find some electronics there and some hardware items.  Even some clothing.  The fish selection is better, too.
I've been told they rent cars there now, too.  I'm going to inquire whether an automatic is available.  Still can't do a manual.

Tuesday night I cooked some great cod, made some quinoa and a tomato-mozzarella salad. This was a bon voyage dinner for Lucile who left this morning for Corsica.  She is going to a family wedding there and is so excited.

Tomorrow I am going dog walking with Deb.  She and her husband Rich have been giving me rides to French class in Hellean and back each week.  Ann Bird is busy with the B&B this term.  Debbie and Rich are from Wales and have 3 grown boys "back home". 

On this posting I am going to list here a lot of pictures.  Shots taken around town, along the canal, gardens down my street....my rue....some beautiful stonework, French class and miscellaneous others.

  Some of them may be repeats from the winter, but Spring/Summer has created a whole new place.  I hope you enjoy them. 

This posting is dedicated to the memory of Robert McDowell, my son-in-law Rob's dad. My heart goes out to his family.
The view from the French Class window in the town hall (the Mairie) in town of Hellean
French Class every Wednesday morning!!
Niche in the wall near the Creperie
A pause that refreshed!!


 

1 comment:

  1. I love love love all these pictures! I tried to post a comment before but didn't work. I was thinking that the window box was yours but I don't think so because shutters are green and yours are blue right? I was wondering what the pottery lady thought of your window box!! So beautiful there with all the flowers against that architecture. Everything really does come alive in. Nice weather.

    ReplyDelete