Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Market Day

Note to all my followers:  The very week I arrived here in Josselin, my little grand-nephew Christian, only 3, was diagnosed with leukemia.  He is Mike's and Louise's younger boy. They live in Walden, NY.  He is currently in Westchester Med. Ctr. receiving his first treatments.  Amanda has made a website for him.  Please visit it at:  www.supportforchristian.com  to send your hugs and support to little Christian. We thank you with all our hearts. KH


~~Market Day~~ on Samedi  (Saturday)

  This morning, Skippy and I went out early (7am) for our morning walk.  It was cold and dark and not a soul around.  The snow was melted and only that grey slush remained.  It was so quiet.  I can't remember if it is dark in New York at 7am in January.  Seems like it is light out by thenIt was kind of haunting hearing the gritty sound of my footsteps on the wet pavement.  Right out of a noir French film. 

Soon we heard men arriving in vans to set up for Market Day.   Laughing and talking in French, of course.  Well I took Skippy home and had myself another cup of coffee.

Went over to the market about 10.  Left Skippy home as it's too difficult to shop with him trying to hog attention from everyone.  Here's a photo of him, either tuckered out or pouting.  He always knows when I'm going out and gets moody.

 Of course the tables and crates were piled with beautiful produce.  

Is it from Spain?   The cheeses are local.  Also, the meats.  And the bread, "pain".   I bought some bread, but not a baguette.  I find I can't eat them up before they get hard.  
 There was a long que for the oysters and seaweed.   I wasn't in it.    

But I did buy myself a beautiful roasted chicken.  Poule.  It smelled divine and I just had to have it.  No picture as I was fumbling with money and a few French words.  Like: "sil vous play" and "Merci Beaucoup".  and 10euros.  pricey!!  There was a truck nearby with "poissonaire" painted on it, so I took that to mean that poison control was on the job.  Ha!! I looked it up later and it means Fish Truck or cart!!  silly me. 


There was quite an array of sweaters, coats and jackets, but I don't really have need for any.  But on any market day I could be tempted.  I was disappointed to not see the jewelry vendor, but the messy weather keeps people home.   The turnout was much more sparce this week.  And the number of vendors was smaller too.  

Above is a picture of my shopping bag.  It has the ubiquitous symbol of Bretagne.  It is an ancient Celtic symbol. Bretagne (Brittany) was settled by Celtic people from Britain and Wales, etc. escaping the invaders from the continent.  They managed to cross the channel and arrive on the coasts of Brittany.  Some even made it as far south as the north coast of Spain.   It's a really interesting history.  There is a careful nurturing of the distinct Breton culture here, including the teaching of the Breton language in the schools, where once it had been shunned.  

At the corner store I bought some nice Josselin post cards and stamps.  Some of you may receive one.  You know who you are.  While there, I had a nice chat with Francoise, the lady who waited on me.  She speaks English!!  

I finally trundled home to the sound of the noon bells.    
Just got a phone call from Ann and Brian wanting to know if I wanted a lift to the Super U.  I said no, but we're on for tomorrow for the celebration of cake and cider around a fire down on the lock.  The lock of the river that runs through town.  I will report on it later.  Should be fun.  
Until we meet again, auRevoir!!!    


  

No comments:

Post a Comment